Enough about all this wine stuff….well, sort of! We can never really seem to get enough wine, but we definitely need to take a break and have some tasty food to go along with it. After all, wasn’t wine meant to go with food???
Here’s our usual approach when heading out to do wine and food:
1. Number one rule – sit at the bar! You get a whole different experience…you have an opportunity to interact with the bartender, talk about the food and the wines, maybe even get some extra tastes.
2. Order small plates – this way you get to try a bunch of different flavors and share amongst yourselves. Plus, you don’t get all full from shoving a huge plate of meat and potatoes in your face (not that there’s anything wrong with that).
3. Sit back and relax – this is an experience, remember? Take your time! Enjoy every moment, every bite, and every sip!
Now, on to this particular experience! We went to Stax, a wine bar in downtown Morro Bay, CA. We’ve blogged on the place in the past, but we haven’t shown you the food, which is pretty damn tasty!
We started out with a glass of L’Aventure‘s Syrah/Cab Rose and a 1/2 dozen Morro Bay oysters.
This was an exquisite pairing! Okay, okay, it was just really tasty and the two complimented each other quite nicely!
On to round two? Now, mind you, we don’t pair wine with every course, we’re not that detail-oriented. If it works out just so, then great but there’s just too many other things going on to be that organized most of the time! After all, eat and drink what you like and all will be right in the world. If you come across a great pairing then you’re a rockstar! Chances are, if you’re in the mood for some oysters, you probably won’t be in the mood for some Petite Sirah at the same moment in time. That’s just the law of averages.
Okay, so next course were some amazing Filet Mignon Crostini with Pesto, Arugula, and Shaved Reggiano Cheese. We were concerned that this might end up being a logistically challenging appetizer (this means that things fall apart mid-bite and you get pesto on your shirt and nose at the same moment), but the Filet was so tender that taking the dish in two bites was absolutely no problem!
Mind you, this was in the middle of the day, so next on the list was a fancy sandwich, a Panini. Not just any panini, but one with Roasted Turkey, Brie Cheese, Apples, and Cranberry Spread. The perfect end to a lazy weekend lunch at the coast…and not bad with a glass of Broadside Chardonnay from the James Berry Vineyard!
Moral of the story: there may be more to life than wine, but whatever you have in your glass, enjoy it!
- Get Your Wine Stax on in Morro Bay (hootnannieblog.com)
- Stax? Yes, Morro Bay Style (hootnannieblog.com)
- Wine & Beef – Caliza Syrah & Filet Mignon (hootnannieblog.com)
Hey, like this post? Why not share it!?Tweet